Girlings logo
Make an

Make an enquiry

Please complete the form below and a legal adviser will contact you.
Select office:
Your data will only be used to contact you regarding your enquiry.

Agricultural Land & Buildings

Commercial Property

Meet Jeremy Burke

When it comes to buying or selling a farm or agricultural land and buildings we will provide you with expert advice and guidance to provide a complete legal service.

Specialist drafting will be needed in the legal documents to make sure matters such as any relevant grants and schemes, rights and easements and holdover for any growing crops are effectively dealt with.

We will work collaboratively with you, your land agent and your accountant where required, to ensure that all elements of your sale or purchase are considered and that the transaction progresses smoothly.

Our Residential Property experts can advise on any residential properties forming part of the transaction and our Corporate and Commercial teams are on hand to assist with farming partnerships and company matters, should they arise as part of the transaction.

Farm succession planning

Like any business, farm businesses must look towards and plan for the future. This is especially important for family farms where younger generations are involved in the business. At Girlings we are fortunate to have a number of highly experienced lawyers available to advise you on all aspects of farm succession planning.

Our Commercial Property experts advise on property ownership and the transfer of land and grant of leases where that is needed as part of the succession planning exercise. Our Wills, Tax & Estate Administration team advises on all aspects of personal tax planning, drafting of wills and the formation of trusts and our Corporate and Commercial Teams advise on partnership and company matters enabling us to help you structure your business for the future.

Farm diversification

Farming businesses are increasingly diversifying into other areas such as residential development, leisure and tourism, retail, equestrian and commercial lettings. Our team is experienced in dealing with all the legal documents required on development matters and has expertise in granting commercial leases, whether that is to third party occupiers or as part of an ownership structuring exercise to separate different aspects of the farm businesses. Should farming partnership or company expertise be needed as part of a structuring exercise our experienced Corporate, Banking & Finance team can help.

Farm tenancies

We are experienced in acting for landowners and tenants in the grant of farm business tenancies and grazing licences as well as providing advice in connection with Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 Tenancies. Where tenancies are required for equestrian purposes or other non-agricultural uses we can advise on the best type of tenancy or licence for your circumstances.

Wayleaves and easements

Whether you are dealing with the grant of private rights of way or rights for services with neighbouring land owners or with a utility company or mobile phone provider we will work with you and your land agent, to advise you and finalise any wayleave agreement or deed of easement required.

To find out more about how our legal specialists can support you with your farming business, please contact one of our Commercial Property experts below. Girlings has offices in Canterbury, Ashford and Herne Bay.

Our Experts

Jeremy Burke

Head of Department
Commercial Property

David Redgate

Commercial Property

Sophie Robins

Commercial Property

Simon Stempien

Commercial Property

Usman Miah

Associate Solicitor
Commercial Property

Beth Norman

Associate (FCILEx)
Commercial Property

Thomas Picknell

Assistant Solicitor
Commercial Property

Hannah Taggart

Commercial Property

Clare Taylor

Trainee Solicitor
Commercial Property

Lauren Jones

Assistant Solicitor
Commercial Property

Related Pages