As a landlord letting residential accommodation it is important to protect both your investment and your rental income. Unfortunately there will be times when you experience difficulties with tenants and need expert legal advice.
There may be many reasons why you have decided to go into the rental market and become a landlord but managing and letting property can be a highly complex business.
We act for both private landlords as well as for commercial landlords on a wide range of tenancy issues. The legal relationship of landlord and tenant is subject to a vast array of case law and statute. As a landlord, irrespective of whether your matter is contentious or non-contentious, our objective is always to explain the applicable principles and available options so that an informed decision can be made as to the best course of action necessary.
Advice for Landlords
Key issues that we are often asked to advise on include:
- Service charge disputes – commercial and residential
- Eviction notice: Possession actions – commercial and residential
- Tenancy agreement
- Cases where there is a breach of the terms of a lease – e.g. unauthorised subletting, assignment, or alterations
- The forfeiture of leases – commercial and residential
- End of term dilapidations
- The renewal of commercial leases under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
- The grant (or refusal, where appropriate) of licences to alter, sublet or assign a lease
- Tenant default and insolvency
- Litigation arising out of leasehold reform matters; e.g. applications for vesting orders etc.
You may have a portfolio of properties or just one buy-to-let but when problems arise you need to act fast to minimise costs and loss of income.
For landlord advice on a tenant dispute or if you need assistance or representation in Court, contact a member of our experienced landlord and tenant dispute resolution team now who will be happy to help.
We Work With You
For further details on how we can help you further please contact a member of our Dispute Resolution team.