Over the course of the year, we will be spotlighting members of Girlings Solicitors' team, their backgrounds, roles, and unique perspectives, so you can get to know the people that are working hard for you.
Name: Shehaam Van Twest
Office: Herne Bay
Job Title: Licensed Conveyancer, Residential Property
What's your favourite activity to do locally and why?
Trying out new restaurants and cuisine. There are fabulous restaurants in Kent some of which are firm favourites.
What do you enjoy in your favourite breakfast that you make at home?
I don’t eat breakfast during the week. But at weekends I like hash browns with fried mushrooms and vegan rashers.
Can you share three things about you that people might not know?
I practiced tap dancing and karate when I was at school. I have been horse riding on a ranch in Arizona in the middle of the Senora Dessert.
I have jumped off a mountain 2,000 feet up at Fethiye Oludeniz in Turkey.
What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?
Relaxing and catching up with box sets like the Crown and the Fabulous Mrs Maisel or currently watching Hallmark Christmas movies!
What would be your three top tips to someone who is buying a new home?
- If you are buying a property on an Estate check whether there are any management charges you will have to pay and factor them into your calculations.
- If you are purchasing a leasehold property you need to factor in costs such as ground rent, service charge, notice fees, deed of covenant fee and certificate of compliance fee.
- Get your finances sorted including any mortgage, gifted deposits, ISA’s etc.
What would be your three top tips to someone who is selling a home?
- Find a good local agent who knows the market and area.
- Find a good solicitor.
- Get all paperwork for the property together including any guarantees/warranty’s, planning permissions, building regulations, fensa certificates etc in order to give to your solicitor.
What do you always carry with you to work?
A positive attitude and gum.
Find out more about Shehaam here.
Please read Reliance on information posted in our Terms of Website Use - see Legal section - before relying on this commentary.