Notary Services - Personal

You are here

Occasionally you might find that you need to use the services of what is called a Notary Public to authenticate or ‘notarise’ a legal document.

Whilst notaries are often solicitors, it is a separate profession and regulated by the faculty office of the Archbishop of Canterbury rather than the Solicitors Regulatory Authority. Our notarial services are offered at our offices in Ashford, Canterbury and Herne Bay.

When might you need a Notary?

The principal role of a Notary is to provide independent proof of documents, transactions and facts to the satisfaction of authorities overseas. For individuals this will usually involve dealing with the requirements of lawyers or others overseas who have advised that you need to get a document notarised or legalised.

You may require notarial services for Power of Attorney, certification, attesting and legalisation purposes. The following are further examples of when you may require a Notary:

  • Buying or selling property overseas
    The Notary witnesses powers of attorney to enable the appointment of lawyers overseas.
  • Applying for work overseas
    The Notary verifies and certifies copies of academic qualifications in support of applications.
  • Proving your identity to an organisation overseas
    The Notary certifies copies of passports and other documents that may be needed.
  • Sponsoring a friend or relative to bring them to the UK
    The Notary drafts and/or witnesses the sponsorship declaration to satisfy UK entry requirements.
  • Freedom to marry abroad
    The Notary certifies affidavits and declarations in support of marrying overseas.
  • Adoption applications relating to a child overseas
    The Notary drafts and witnesses the often extensive application documents.
  • Share dealings or time shares in the USA
    The Notary witnesses the signing of an acknowledgment in support of applications.
  • Legalising documents at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or relevant embassy
    The Notary can make the application (also known as obtaining an Apostille or consular legalisation) on your behalf
  • Taking oaths, affidavits and statutory declarations
    The Notary can prepare and administer these for use in foreign jurisdictions or court proceedings.
  • Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)
    The Notary drafts and witnesses declarations in support of applications.
  • Pensions from an overseas provider
    The Notary confirms the continuing existence (proof of life) of those entitled to overseas pensions.
  • Deceased relatives with overseas assets
    The Notary provides Certificates of English Law to enable the estate to be administered.
  • Consent to travel
    The Notary drafts and witnesses the appropriate document.

If you are managing your personal affairs abroad you will most probably require a Notary in the UK to certify your identity and signature.


Girlings has an arrangement with Notary Public, Chris Byrne, a partner with Girlings Solicitors for many years before he retired. Chris conducts his notarial practice independently from Girlings and is able to see clients at our offices or at your own premises when required. Chris is a member of the Notaries Society of England and Wales and provides a full range of Notary Public Services to both Private and Corporate Clients.

Chris Byrne's contact details: 

For more information, please visit
Telephone 01233 664 711/ 0774 228 9934
Email Chris


Commitment Without Compromise