Meet Chris Brightling, Head of Corporate & Commercial:
Chris joined Girlings in 2018 from a highly regarded regional practice where he was a corporate partner leading a team of corporate, banking and tax lawyers.
Chris is based in our Ashford office and regularly advises on share and business acquisitions and disposals, restructurings and joint ventures. He also advises on general corporate law matters including corporate governance issues, shareholders’ agreements and share buy backs. His clients range from owner managed businesses to large national and multi-national companies in a variety of sectors including manufacturing, retail, logistics and IT. Chris is experienced in leading project teams of lawyers drawn from different departments on corporate transactions.
Chris builds long term relationships with his clients who have commended him for his professionalism and efficiency and for tailoring his advice to meet their needs.
Chris also advises directors, lenders and insolvency practitioners on corporate insolvency, turnaround and restructuring matters, with particular experience in the sale and purchase of businesses from administration.
His clients have commended him for his professionalism and efficiency and for tailoring his advice to meet their needs.
Examples of matters Chris has worked on include:
- the sale of the entire issued share capital of M&P Fire Protection Ltd to Premier Technical Services Group plc
- advising the selling shareholders of a substantial invoice financing business on a private equity backed management buy out
- the successful sale of a significant London-based physiotherapy business to a national healthcare specialist
- advising a UK motorsport design company on a joint venture with a large manufacturing group based in India
- the capitalisation of loans to the value of £4.5m for the UK subsidiary of a Middle-Eastern group
- advising the founding entrepreneurs of a confectionary supplier on the sale of their shares to a large national competitor
- a section 110 restructuring and subsequent sale of a leading estate agency group
- advising an investment fund on the acquisition of a substantial printing business from administration.
Corporate & Commercial
Chris has particular expertise in the following areas:
- Share acquisitions and disposals
- Business acquisitions and disposals
- Management buy outs
- Corporate restructuring
- Corporate governance and directors’ duties
- Business formation and incorporation
- Shareholders’ agreements and articles of association
- Share buy backs
- LLPs and Partnerships
- Corporate insolvency
Chris regularly writes legal updates and has written articles for publication in the World Sports Law Reports.