We understand the challenges faced by charities, social enterprises and other not-for-profit organisations working in the voluntary and third sector.
Our Not-for-Profit legal services are led by Caroline Armitage, an experienced trustee and solicitor with extensive knowledge of charitable governance. We can co-ordinate a custom team of specialist legal advisors from across the Firm to address the particular challenges your organisation may face. In addition Caroline Armitage, Jeremy Burke and Andrew Watson are members of the Charity Law Association. Many of our legal advisors are also trustees and officers themselves or have acted in this capacity previously.
Legal advice for charities and not-for profits
We deliver cost effective legal solutions for our clients and our advice is always focussed on helping you deliver the best possible service for your service users. We also offer transparent, flexible and favourable fee structures.
The legal needs of charities, voluntary organisations, social enterprises other not-for-profits can be complex and varied. We offer a wide range of legal advise which includes:
GOVERNANCE AND COMMERCIAL ADVICE
- Finding and adopting the best legal structure to achieve your goals - such as an unincorporated charity to a CIO, CIC or a company limited by guarantee
- Governance, and relationships between trustees, management, funders/donors and other stakeholders
- Effective Board management
- Balancing your charitable objectives with the need to operate a sustainable charity with impact
- Managing relationships with the Charity Commission and Companies House
- Responding to Charity Commission investigations
- Mergers, takeovers, amalgamations and joint ventures
- Advising on trading activities and appropriate structures to allow the charity to trade
- Grant and funding agreements
- Fundraising legally and ethically
- Service Level Agreements
- Framework Agreements
- Service and Supply Agreements
PROPERTY FOR CHARITIES
- Complying with the regulatory requirements of SS117 – 120 Charities Act 2011
- Buying and selling
- Gifts of property
- Commercial contracts & Leases
EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS & TRUSTEES
- Trustees duties and responsibilities
- Advice on Employees and Volunteers
- Training for Employees,and Trustees
- Practical advice on helping your charity operate efficiently and effectively
- GDPR and e-privacy
SOLVING DISPUTES & LEGACY CHALLENGES
- Charity Property disputes
- Dispute resolution and litigation for Charities
- Trustee disputes
- Legacy challenges
SETTING UP A CHARITY OR SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
- Charity and charitable company formations
- Trading subsidiaries
- Probate and legacy arrangements
- Legacy challenges
Experienced Not for Profit Law Advisors
We build close and longstanding relationships with our clients who include charity and not-for-profit organisations of all sizes. We also work with schools, universities, further education establishments social housing providers and organisations in the health and social care sector.
Our clients include:
- Aspinall Foundation
- Creative Foundation
- Kent Enterprise Trust
- Martha Trust
- Pilgrims Hospices
- St Lawrence College
- The Bay Trust
Examples of recent transactions we have completed for our clients in the voluntary and third sector include:
- Representing a local charity which faced Charity Commission investigations resulting from complaints from third parties.
- Transferring an 80 year old Charity from being a Trust to a co mpany, including transfer of substantial propert and investment assets.
- Amending constitutional documents for a charity with a large membership
- Merger of two charties by creating a charity group
- Merger of two charities by Vesting Deed and entry on register of merger
Work With Us
For further details of our services for the third sector, contact Caroline Armitage. We look forward to hearing from you.